Parameterizing foodwebs using species traits
We are interested in the outcomes of predator-prey interactions between insects. To parameterize these interactions, we leverage a "trait-based" description, in which ecological interactions (e.g., attack rates) are explicitly described in terms of insect biology (e.g., metabolism).
The motivation for this work is to reduce the burden of data collection for model fitting and isolate the interactions leading to different pest control outcomes. Below are some important components of the research.
- Effects of body mass on mobility, predation
- Effects of habitat use on encounter rates
- Fitting to experimental data (field and lab)
This project is nearing completion and the model is in use for another project. There may be some room to study more efficient use of associated experimental data, including details maps of mesocosm habitat use.
Note: Mattias Jonsson and Michael Traugott also contributed to this work, but their involvement pre-dated my own.
- Kate Wootton, A.N. Laubmeier, Alva Curtsdotter, Tomas Jonsson, H.T. Banks, Riccardo Bommarco, and Tomas Roslin. From theory to experiment and back again — Challenges in quantifying a trait-based theory of predator-prey dynamics, In prep.
Contribution Statement: I generated the preliminary results for this manuscript and aided KW in composing portions of the manuscript concerning the mathematical model and methods.
- Alva Curtsdotter, H.T. Banks, J.E. Banks, Mattias Jonsson, Tomas Jonsson, A.N. Laubmeier, Michael Traugott, and Riccardo Bommarco. Ecosystem functioning in predator-prey food webs - confronting dynamic food web models with population empirical data. Journal of Animal Ecology, 2018.
Contribution Statement: I generated the preliminary results for this manuscript and aided AC in revising portions of the manuscript related to mathematical methods or results.
- H.T. Banks, J.E. Banks, Riccardo Bommarco, Alva Curtsdotter, Tomas Jonsson, A.N. Laubmeier. Parameter estimation for an allometric food web model. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 2017.
Contribution Statement: I generated the numerical results for this manuscript and shared responsibility for drafting and revising the manuscript with AC.