Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Texas Tech University
Contact: katharine DOT long AT ttu DOT edu
Phone: I do not have an office phone. This is the 21st century. Use email.
I'm an applied mathematician who works in scientific computing and mathematical modeling applied to physics, biology, and engineering. Some current areas of interest are:
Some problems currently on the back burner include:
- No-contact fever detection using thermal imaging. This work is for
XTemp Infrared, a technology company founded by my former PhD student Senay Tewolde.
- IRK time integrators for PDEs, and solvers for the systems of equations arising from these problem. Applications include micromagnetics, fluid mechanics, and spatial ecology.
- Analysis of structural sensitivity in nonlinear dynamics. Applications include biological food networks and galactic dynamics.
- Reduced-order models of nonlinear PDE systems. Applications include spatial ecology and wind energy.
You can find some of my papers at ResearchGate and at Google Scholar.
- PDE-constrained optimization and applications
- Source inversion, parameter estimation, shape optimization, topology optimization; various applications in medicine, technology, and defense
- High-performance high-level software for PDEs and solvers.
- Modeling of invasive species and animal migration
- Vector-borne disease modeling
- Molecular cloud formation in galaxies
- Fast Schrodinger-Poisson solvers
- Transport processes in thermite powders
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Texas Tech (2007-present)
- Computational Science and Mathematics Research Department, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore CA (1998-2007)
- Beam Technologies, Ithaca NY (1996-1998)
- Department of Physics, SUNY at Brockport (1992-1995)
- Department of Physics, UMass Amherst (1990-1992)
- PhD in Astrophysics, Princeton University
- Thesis: Kinematics and Dynamics of Barred Galaxies, with advisor David Spergel
- BS in Astronomy, University of Maryland
- Thesis: Tidal Disruption of Open Star Clusters in their Parent Molecular Clouds, with advisor Leo Blitz
- I'm married to Victoria Howle , another mathematician. Together we're raising the world's cutest twins.
- I'm a native of Maryland, and lived for a long time in California. I miss the culture, hills, and oceans, but don't miss the traffic and crowds.