Introduction to WeBWorK for students.
Suggestion: bookmark, save, or
print this page!
I. What is WeBWorK ?
WeBWorK is a system that allows professors to put the
homework problems on the web and allows students to solve these
problems over the web. Using WeBWorK, students may try to
answer homework problems more than once. After each try, a message
appears telling the student whether the answer is correct or not.
This allows students to try to find out what they did wrong and
hopefully to understand the topic of the question better.
II. How to use WeBWorK to do your homework
Using WeBWorK is quite simple. Below are the basic steps
on how to get started.
NOTE: Most pages of WeBWorK also contain
directions. Therefore, if you are ever unsure of what you should do,
try reading the directions and descriptions on the page at which you
- Find a computer with Internet access.
- Log on to WeBWorK:
- Go to: http://webwork.math.ttu.edu/webwork2/DSGspr05m1352/
- This will get you to the main login page of your course.
You must have a user login name and a password which I will
send to you via email or you can get it from me in my office.
(You should change your password immediately on your first time
- Enter your login name and password.
- If your login is incorrect, you will be told so, and you
can return to the login page and try again. (If your login and
password doesn't work, talk to your instructor.)
- Look at the problem sets
- Assuming you made it to the Valid login page, click on
'Begin Problem Sets' button.
- You should see the problem sets available to you. These
will be labeled OPEN or CLOSED. OPEN means you can work on the
set and it can count towards your grade.
- Select a problem set by clicking on it.
- You now have two choices: 'Do Problem Set' or 'Get Hard
- Print out the Problem set
- This step is optional, but it is recommended that you print
out the problems to work on at home rather than working at the
- Select the format you are interested in (probably pdf) and
click on 'Get Hard Copy.'
- Print out this file. The file might immediately come up on
your screen, or you might have to save to disk. This depends on
how your computer is configured.
- You can now take the problem set home and work on it on
- To view pdf files, you can use adobe software available
- Work out the homework -- On Paper!
- After printing out the problem set, go away from the
computer and work on the homework. One reason to do this is
that it is very easy to make a mistake and not see it when you
are sitting at the computer.
- After doing all the homework, return to the computer.
- Submit your answers
- Click on a problem set and click 'Do Problem Set'
- You should see the list of problems available.
- Click on Problem 1.
- Select a type setting mode. 'Typeset2' makes most
mathematical formulas look nice. 'Formatted Text' is quicker,
but might not make the formulas look as nice.
- Click on 'Get Problem'
- Enter your answer and 'Preview Answer'
(see How to enter Answers in
- Click on 'Submit Answer' to submit your answer for a
- Look at a summary of your WeBWorK homework
This is the second section of the "Begin Problem Sets Page." If
you click on the button 'Get Summary', you will see your current
scores for all available problem sets.
- Logout when you are done
IV. Important facts to know
- What to do if you have problems with
- If you have a problem logging in, contact your instructor
- If you have a problem printing out a set, ask a consultant
at a university computer lab. If you don't get sufficient help,
contact your instructor or TA.
- If you are logged on to WeBWorK for longer that 30
minutes without any activity, you will be asked to log in again.
This is a security measure. You can resume your work after you
logged back in. All your results from the last log in will be
This page (modified somewhat) is from UR