Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Texas Tech University
Lubbock TX 79409-1042
2000: PhD Mathematics – University of Kansas
2000: PhD Mathematics – Polytechnic University Bucharest
1997: MA Mathematics – University of Kansas
1991: MS Mathematics – University of Bucharest
2014- Professor, tenured, Mathematics and Statistics, TTU
2010- Director of Undergraduate Studies, Mathematics and Statistics, TTU
2008 - Associate Professor, tenured, Texas Tech University
2001-2008 Assistant Professor, tenure-track, Texas Tech University
2000-2001 Assistant Professor, tenure-track, Ball State University
1995-2000 Graduate Student, Teaching Assistant, University of Kansas
1992-1995 Asistent Universitar, Polytechnic University Bucharest (Politehnica)
1991-1992 Preparator, Polytechnic University Bucharest - Mathematics
RESEARCH AREA: Differential Geometry, Geometric PDE, and Integrable Systems
SELECTED HONORS, AWARDS and DISTINCTIONS
2011 - Professing Excellence Award at Texas Tech University (one of 10 recipients at TTU), LEARNing TTU (Leadership, Education, Academics, Recruitment, & eNgagement) and University Housing.
2008 President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas Tech University
2008 Professor of the Year at Texas Tech University (KME Math Undergraduate)
2002 Professor of the Year at Texas Tech University (Math Undergraduate)
2000 Outstanding Teaching Assistant of the University of Kansas
1997 Florence Black Award for Excellence in Teaching
1995 George Soros Young Career Grant
· Paragoda, Thanuja, PhD, expected to defend 2016
· Chalani Prematilake, PhD, expected to defend 2015, co-advised with Leif Ellingson
· Bhagya Athukorala, PhD, graduated Aug 2014, co-advised with Ram Iyer
· Kose, Zeynep, PhD, graduated Dec 2010, co-advised with Eugenio Aulisa, partly supported from funding
· Alin Tomoiaga, MS, graduated Nov, 2006
· Casey Hume, MS, graduated June 2003; co-advised with G. B. Williams
Students Advised as a Mentor
· Matthew Smith, URF Honors College Research Fellow, 2012/2013
· Carmen Gogu, Center of Undergraduate Research Conference, April 2012
· Xiaoxiao Jiang , TLTC Programs, Texas Tech University, 2008-09
Selected Publications (fully refereed)
1. Toda, M., Athukorallage, B. (2014), Willmore Surfaces – Geometric Models for Secondary Structures in Proteins, – XVIth Geometry, Integrability and Quantization Conference Bulgarian Academy of Science, Sofia, Bulgaria, Journal of Geometry and Symmetry in Physics– accepted.
2. Toda, M., Athukorallage, B., Paragoda Gamage, T. (2014) Roulettes of conics, Delaunay surfaces and applications, Surveys in Mathematics, 4(1), 1-23.
3. Toda, M., Aulisa, E., Kose, Z., Constructing isothermal curvature line coordinates on surfaces which admit them, Central European Journal of Mathematics (CEJM), Springer - Versita, 11(11), (2013) 1982-1993
4. Toda, M., Forchheimer-type equations in conjunction with constant mean curvature graphs, AIP Conf. Proc. 1558, 887 (2013), pp 5; http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4825639 ; http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/proceeding/aipcp/10.1063/1.4825639
5. Toda, M., Athukoralage, B., Geometry of biological membranes and Willmore energy, American Institute of Physics, AIP Conf. Proc. 1558, 883 (2013), pp 5;
6. M. Toda, G. Bornia, Preface of the “Symposium on Geometric Methods for Integrable Systems and PDE with Applications to Engineering, Biology and Medicine”, AIP Conf. Proc. 1558, 869 (2013), pp 4; http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/proceeding/aipcp/10.1063/1.4825634
7. Toda, M., Weingarten surfaces with moving frames - a tribute to S.S. Chern and C. L. Terng - and a duality result, J P Journal of Geometry and Topology, 12(3), (2012), 263-289.
8. Aulisa, E., Ibraguimov, A., Toda, M.: Geometric Methods in the Analysis of Non-linear Flows in Porous Media - Contemporary Mathematics Proceedings of the AMS, Spectral Theory and Geometric Analysis, in honor of M. Shubin; editor: Leonid Friedlander; vol.535, (2011), 27-42.
9. Toda, M., Rossman, W.: Corresponding constant mean curvature surfaces in hyperbolic and Euclidean 3-spaces, Pacific Journal - Applied Mathematics, 3(1-2), (2011), pp 37-43; http://arxiv.org/pdf/1005.2744v1.pdf
10. Kose, Z., Aulisa, E., Toda, M.: Solving Bonnet Problems to construct families of surfaces, International Conference – Differential Geometry 2010, BJGA, 16 (2011), issue 2, 70-81.
11. Toda, M., Ibraguimov, A., Aulisa, E.: Geometric Framework for Modeling Non-Linear Flows in Porous Media, and Its Applications in Engineering , Journal of Nonlinear Analysis - Real World Applications, vol. 11, Issue 3, (2010), 1734-1751.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1468121809001709
12. Iyer, R., Toda, M., Holsapple R., On an Optical Inertial Navigation System - II, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, ISSN: 0018-9286, vol. 53, no. 8, (2008), pp 1864-1875.
13. Paige, R., Seshaiyer, P., Toda, M., Student Misconceptions Caused by Misuse of Technology, International Journal for Technology in Mathematics Education (former International Journal of Computer Algebra), vol. 14, no.4, pp 10, (2007).
14. Toda, M., Initial Value Problems of the Sine-Gordon Equation and Geometric Solutions, Annals of Global Analysis and Geometry, vol. 27, no. 3, (2005), pp 257-271.
15. Toda, M., Immersions of Constant Mean Curvature Surfaces in Hyperbolic Space, Differential Geometry – Dynamical Systems, vol. 7, no.1, (2005), pp 111-126.
16. Inoguchi, J., Toda, M., Timelike Minimal Surfaces via Loop Groups, Acta Applicandae Mathematicae, vol. 83, no. 1-2, (2004) , pp 313-355.
17. Dorfmeister, J., Inoguchi, J., Toda, M., Weierstrass-type Representation of Timelike Surfaces with Constant Mean Curvature in Minkowski 3-Space, Differential Geometry and Integrable Systems, Contemporary Mathematics AMS, vol. 308 (2002), pp 77-100.
18. Toda, M., Weierstrass-type Representation of Weakly Regular Pseudospherical Surfaces in Euclidean Space, Balkan Journal of Geometry and Analysis, vol. 7 (2002), no. 2, pp 87-136.
19. Toda, M., Udriste, C., Optimal Approximations on Riemannian Manifolds, Balkan Journal of Geometry and Analysis, vol. 4 (1999), no.1, pp 135-144.
20. Dorfmeister, J., Pedit, F., Toda, M., Minimal Surfaces via Loop Groups, Balkan Journal of Geometry and Analysis, vol.2 (1997), no.1, pp 25-40, app. 1998.
21. Sandru, M., Toda, M., Topological Aspects in Elementary Geometry, TENSOR, N.S., Japan, vol. 57 (1996) , no.1, pp 80-83.
22. Toda, M., Udriste, C., Influence of the Evolution Riemannian Metrics on the Volume, Proceedings of 23rd European Conference on Geometry and Topology - Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, 1993 - app. (1994), pp 194-202.
23. Toda, M., Udriste, C., Volume Dependence on the Riemannian Metric, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Differential Geometry and Applications, 1993, Politehn. Univ. Bucharest Sci. Bull. Ser. A, Appl. Math. Phys., vol. 55 (1993), no. 3-4, pp 285-298.
24. Toda, M., A Family of Riemannian and Naturally Reductive Homogeneous Spaces: A Classification, Polytech. Inst. Bucharest Scientific Bulletin, vol. 53 (1991), no. 3-4, pp 329-335.
Books, Textbooks (reviewed and refereed –open peer review)
1. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013). In Kendall Hunt (Ed.), Calculus (6th ed., pp. 1160). Kendall Hunt Publishing, July 18, 2013. ISBN-10: 1465208887
2. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013). In Kendall Hunt (Ed.), Calculus Special Edition (6th ed., Special Edition Ch 1-5 – used at Rutgers University). Kendall Hunt Publishing Company. ISBN-10: 146522923X
3. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013). In Kendall Hunt (Ed.), Calculus Special Edition (6th ed., Special Edition Ch 5-8, 11, 12, 14 – used at Rutgers University). Kendall Hunt Publishing Company. ISBN-10: 146524079B
4. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013). Student Solutions Manual for Calculus 6th Edition, by Smith, Strauss and Toda. E-Book format. Kendall Hunt.
5. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013). Instructor’s Solutions Manual for Calculus 6th Edition, by Smith, Strauss and Toda. E-Book format. Kendall Hunt.
Nonlinear couplings for Flows in Fractured Media, total amount $290,000, National Science Foundation, Division of Mathematical Sciences, CO-PI. (Principal Investigator A. Ibragimov)
Analysis of Non-Linear Flows in Heterogeneous Porous Media and Applications, total amount $226,000, National Science Foundation, Division of Mathematical Sciences, DMS 0908177, CO-PI. (Principal Investigator A. Ibragimov)
South Plains Mathematics Scholars, total amount $571,580, National Science Foundation, STEM: SCHLR SCI TECH ENG&MATH, CO-PI (PI: George Brock Williams)
Integrable systems, harmonic maps and Weierstrass representation, Central European Science Foundation; total award $58,000, P.I.
The Emmy Noether Mathematics Days, MAA, Tensor Projects, $4,500, P.I.
Multidisciplinary Summer Undergraduate Research Program in Computation and Control of Biological and Biologically Inspired Systems, total amount $170,707, National Science Foundation (REU Program) and Department of Defense (ASSURE Program). Senior Personnel. Project advised: Geometric Modelling of the Compound Eye, jointly with Dr Ram Iyer.
The Joy of Thinking, MAA-Tensor Foundation, $5,000 (graduate student stipend). P.I. (Co-P.I. J. Dwyer)
Project NexT (New
Experiences in Teaching) Travel Grant – supported by an AMS grant and the
Department of Mathematics and Statistics at
1998-2000 U.G. Mitchell Summer Research Grant for Graduate Students
II. Internal FUNDING by
2005 The Geometry of Backlund Transformations, Research Enhancement Fund, Summer 2005, $2,725.
2015 Toda, M – Invited speaker at the “Waves 2015” Conference on Integrable Systems and Waves, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, March 31 – April 4.
2014 Toda, M – Plenary Speaker at the XVIth International Conference on Geometry, Integrability and Quantisation, Institute of Biophysics, Bulgarian Academy of Science, June 5-12, 2014; http://www.bio21.bas.bg/conference/
2013 Toda, M. –Constant mean curvature surfaces as models of beta sheets, ICNAAM Conference, Greece, Sep 20-28, 2013.
2013 Toda, M, SIAM Conference on Mathematical and Computational Issues in Geosciences, University of Padova, June 17-20, 2013,” Geometric PDE models for secondary structure in proteins”.
2012 Ibraguimov, A., Aulisa, E., Hoang, L., Toda, M., Bloshanskaya, L., SIAM Conference on Analysis of Partial Differential Equations, SIAM, San Diego, CA, November 14-17, 2011, "Stability of the Generalized Forchheimer Flow in Porous Media," (co-author; work presented by A. Ibragimov).
2010 Solving Bonnet Problems to Construct Families of Surfaces, International Conference of DGDS 2010, joint work with E. Aulisa and Z. Kose (presenter), Aug 2010.
2008 An up-scaling algorithm for non-Darcy flows in porous media, Special Session 19, Multiscale Numerical Methods for PDEs, 7th AIMS International Conference on Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications, joint work with E. Aulisa and A. Ibragimov (presenter), May 2008.
2007 Geometrical Frame-Work for Modeling Non-Linear Flows in Porous Media, and Its Applications in Engineering, SIAM-NSF Conference on Mathematics for Industry: Challenges and Frontiers (MI07), Sec. on Numerical Analysis, Numerical PDE and Clustering, joint work with E. Aulisa and A. Ibragimov, Oct 9-11, 2007
surfaces in hyperbolic space, CMC seminar talk, London Math Symposium,
2005 Harmonic maps into Lie groups, invited talk, AMS Central
Sectional Meeting #1006,
2004 Lorentz surfaces and the wave equation, invited talk, Texas Topology and Geometry Conference, TCU - UTA, Dallas Fort Worth, Feb 28, 2004.
2003 Immersions of arbitrary
constant mean curvature in hyperbolic space, invited talk, International
Conference on Differential Geometry and Its Applications and Sixth
2003 Constant mean curvature surfaces in
hyperbolic space, invited
talk, Southeast Geometry Conference,
2002 Constructing constants mean curvature
surfaces in the hyperbolic space, invited talk, Discrete, Computational and Combinatorial Geometry
Conference – Satellite of the International Congress of Mathematicians,
2001 Constant mean curvature
surfaces in Minkowski 3-Space, invited seminar talk,
surfaces of constant mean curvature and their corresponding PDEs, invited talk, AMS Meeting,
2000 Pseudospherical surfaces via moving frames, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Texas Tech University, February 11, 2000, colloquium talk.
2000 Pseudospherical surfaces via moving frames, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Ball State University, February 4, 2000, colloquium talk.
2000 Hyperbolic surfaces, 30 min invited talk, Special Session of Complex Hyperbolic Geometry, AMS Joint Meeting, Jan 18-22, 2000.
1997 Minimal surfaces with loop
talk, Special Session of Differential Geometry, AMS Meeting,
1994 Geometric optimization methods, invited talk, 3rd International Conference on Differential Geometry of the TENSOR Society, Japan, Athens University, Greece, August 1994.
· Colloquium Talk – CMC Surfaces, Willmore surfaces and Integrable Systems and applications to protein biology, Texas Tech University, Sep 2013 – tenure and promotion candidate
· REU-NSF (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) Lectures:
- What every professional mathematician should know - June 2007
- Minimal surfaces - June 2007
· Emmy Noether High-School Day Workshops/Lectures:
- Emmy Noether High-School Day, May 4, 2005:
Hyperbolic Geometry: the whole world compressed in a disk
- Emmy Noether High-School Day, May 4, 2004:
2-D and 3-D tiling: our dream houses- workshop for students and their teachers
- Emmy Noether High-School Day, May 14, 2003:
Geometric Models in Physics – workshop for students and their teachers
· Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dept. Of Mathematics and Statistics, since Summer 2010
Advisor and Representative of the
· Member of the Executive Committee, Mathematics and Statistics - Texas Tech Univ. (2010-present)
· Chair of the Undergraduate Committee, Mathematics and Statistics - Texas Tech Univ.(2010-present)
· Chair of the Organizing Committee for the Emmy Noether High-School Mathematics Day, Texas Tech University, organized Editions: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
· Member of the Strategic Planning Committee, 2012
· Member of the Travel Expenditures Committee, 2013
· Member of the Hiring Strategy Committee, 2007 and 2012
· Member of the Hiring Committee, 2007 -2008
as REU Program Coordinator, June 11-25, 2007, (with
B. University Service
· Member of the Faculty Senate at Texas Tech University (2006-2010) and Senate Committee C
· Member of Graduate Scholarship Committee (2012)
· Member of the Family Care Committee (2006-2010)
C. Professional service
Conference Organizer: TGTC Texas Geometry and Topology Conference
(4 editions, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2017)
Red Raider Mini-symposium (2009, 2013)
AMS Special Sessions (2012, 2014)
SIAM Meeting Special Session (2013)
11th International Conference Numerical Analysis and
Applied Mathematics (2013)
Referee for 7 professional journals between 2008-2013
Reviewer of scientific articles for Mathematical Reviews and Zentralblatt
Reviewer of scientific textbooks for:
Springer-Verlag NY, W.H.Freeman and Company Publishers, Mathematical Reviews AMS
· Editorial appointments:
· Editor for NOVA Publishers – Scientific Journals – special issue, Applied Mathematics.
· Editor for a monograph with CRC – Taylor and Francis
Additional work with editors, between 2010-2013:
for Wiley and sons, Cengage, Pearson, Jones and Bartlett – reviewing textbooks and professional books