Interim Departmental Chairperson
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Texas Tech University
Lubbock TX 79409-1042
2000: PhD Mathematics (emphasis area: Differential Geometry and Integrable Systems) – University of Kansas; advisor: J. Dorfmeister
2000: PhD Applied Mathematics (emphasis area: Applications of Riemannian Geometry to electromagnetic fields): Polytechnic University Bucharest; advisor: C. Udriste
1997: MA Mathematics – University of Kansas
1991: MS Mathematics – University of Bucharest
2015- Interim Chairperson, Mathematics and Statistics, TTU
2014- Professor, tenured, Mathematics and Statistics, TTU
2010-2015 Director of Undergraduate Studies, Mathematics and Statistics, TTU
2008-2014 Associate Professor, tenured, Texas Tech University
2001-2008 Assistant Professor, tenure-track, Texas Tech University
2000-2001 Assistant Professor, tenure-track, Ball State University
1995-2000 Graduate Student, Teaching Assistant, University of Kansas
1992-1995 Asistent Universitar (Tenured Assistant Professor), Polytechnic University Bucharest
1991-1992 Preparator (Teaching Assistant), Polytechnic University Bucharest - Mathematics
RESEARCH AREA: Differential Geometry, Geometric PDE, and Integrable Systems
SELECTED HONORS, AWARDS and DISTINCTIONS
2011 - Professing Excellence Award at Texas Tech University (one of 10 recipients at TTU), LEARNing TTU (Leadership, Education, Academics, Recruitment, & eNgagement) and University Housing.
2008 President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas Tech University
2008 Professor of the Year at Texas Tech University (KME Math Undergraduate)
2002 Professor of the Year at Texas Tech University (Math Undergraduate)
2000 Outstanding Teaching Assistant of the University of Kansas
1997 Florence Black Award for Excellence in Teaching
1995 George Soros Young Career Grant
· Paragoda, Thanuja, PhD, expected to defend 2016; co-advised with Dr. G. Bornia
· Chalani Prematilake, PhD, expected to defend 2015; co-advised with Dr. L. Ellingson
· Bhagya Athukorala, PhD, graduated Aug 2014; co-advised with Dr. R. Iyer – Postdoctoral Researcher at TTU since 2015
· Kose, Zeynep, PhD, graduated Dec 2010; co-advised with E. Aulisa, partly supported from funding; Asst Professor Tenure Track, Bursa Org. University, Turkey since 2011
· Alin Tomoiaga, MS, graduated Dec 2006, PhD 2014 (Dr. P. Westfall); co-advised with P. Westfall; Postdoctoral researcher at Houston Methodist Hospital.
· Casey Hume, MS, graduated Aug 2003; co-advised with B. Williams; PhD 2006 (advised by R. Barnard, B. Williams) – Analyst at NIST (National Institute for Standards and Technology, Washington DC)
Students Advised as a Mentor
· Matthew Smith, URF Honors College Research Fellow, 2012/2013
· Carmen Gogu, Center of Undergraduate Research Conference, April 2012
· Xiaoxiao Jiang , TLTC Programs, Texas Tech University, 2008-09
Selected Publications (fully refereed)
( Note: the underlined names are PhD graduate students advised; coauthors had equal contributions)
1. Toda, M. (editor and contributor), (2017), The Willmore conjecture and the Willmore energy, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Ltd., 2017, 300 pp, accepted.
2. Athukorallage, B., Paragoda, T., Toda, M., Bornia, G. (2015), Willmore-type energies and Willmore-type surfaces in space forms, Editor: Yasuo Matsushita, Japan, JP Journal of Geometry and Topology, in press, # PPH-1507041-GT (published global impact factor: 0.725.)
3. Toda, M., Athukorallage, B. (2015), New advances in the study of Generalized Willmore surfaces– XVIIth Geometry, Integrability and Quantization Conference of Bulgarian Academy of Science, Sofia, Bulgaria, June 2015, plenary speaker talk; proceedings hosted by: Journal of Geometry and Symmetry in Physics. ( 2014 SJR: 0.31 ); accepted.
4. Toda, M., Athukorallage, B. (2014), Willmore Surfaces – Geometric Models for Secondary Structures in Proteins - XVIth Geometry, Integrability and Quantization Conference of Bulgarian Academy of Science, Sofia, Bulgaria, June 2014, plenary speaker talk; proceedings hosted by: Journal of Geometry and Symmetry in Physics.
( 2014 SJR: 0.31.)
5. Toda, M., Athukorallage, B., Paragoda, T. (2014), Roulettes of conics, Delaunay surfaces and applications, Surveys in Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, 4(1), 1-23. ( Global Impact Factor 2014: 0.714).
6. Toda, M., Aulisa, E., Kose, Z. (2013), Constructing isothermal curvature line coordinates on surfaces which admit them, Central European Journal of Mathematics (CEJM), Springer - Versita, 11(11), (2013) 1982-1993
(Full free text available made available at this link by Springer-Versita.)
(Global impact factor: 0.578)
7. Toda, M. (2013), Forchheimer-type equations in conjunction with constant mean curvature graphs, AIP Conf. Proc. of American Institute of Physics, 1558, 887 (2013), pp 5; http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4825639 ; http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/proceeding/aipcp/10.1063/1.4825639
8. Toda, M., Athukoralage, B. (2013), Geometry of biological membranes and Willmore energy, AIP Conf. Proc. of American Institute of Physics, 1558, 883 (2013), pp 5;
9. Toda, M., Bornia,G (2013), Preface of the “Symposium on Geometric Methods for Integrable Systems and PDE with Applications to Engineering, Biology and Medicine”, AIP Conf. Proc. of American Institute of Physics, 1558, 869 (2013), pp 4; http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/proceeding/aipcp/10.1063/1.4825634
10. Toda, M. (2012), Weingarten surfaces with moving frames - a tribute to S.S. Chern and C. L. Terng - and a duality result, J P Journal of Geometry and Topology, 12(3), (2012), 263-289. (see also http://arxiv.org/abs/1302.5395 ) (Global impact factor: 0.725.)
12. Toda, M., Rossman, W. (2011), Corresponding constant mean curvature surfaces in hyperbolic and Euclidean 3-spaces, Pacific Journal - Applied Mathematics, 3(1-2), (2011), pp 37-43; http://arxiv.org/pdf/1005.2744v1.pdf
13. Kose, Z., Aulisa, E., Toda, M. (2011), Solving Bonnet Problems to construct families of surfaces, International Conference – Differential Geometry 2010, BJGA, 16 (2011), issue 2, 70-81. http://www.mathem.pub.ro/bjga/v16n2/B16-2-ko.pdf
( ISI 2012 impact factor: 0.806 )
14. Toda, M., Ibraguimov, A., Aulisa, E. (2010), Geometric Framework for Modeling Non-Linear Flows in Porous Media, and Its Applications in Engineering , Journal of Nonlinear Analysis - Real World Applications, vol. 11, Issue 3, (2010), 1734-1751.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1468121809001709 (see also http://arxiv.org/abs/1302.5461)
( Global impact factor 2.51, SJR 1.81, 5 year impact factor 2.32 )
15. Iyer, R., Toda, M., Holsapple R. (2008), on an Optical Inertial Navigation System - II, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, ISSN: 0018-9286, vol. 53, no. 8, (2008), pp 1864-1875. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=4631514
( Global impact factor 2.779 )
16. Paige, R., Seshaiyer, P., Toda, M. (2007), Student Misconceptions Caused by Misuse of Technology, International Journal for Technology in Mathematics Education (former International Journal of Computer Algebra), vol. 14, no.4, pp 10, (2007).
17. Box C., Wilhelm, J., Lamp D., Narava R., Paige R., Seshaiyer, P., Toda M., Todd, R.H., Cunningham, S. R., Rhode, K. M., Tallent-Runnels, M. (2007), Future Concerns of International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement and Regular Classroom High School Students, Educ. Article. http://academic.research.microsoft.com/Author/34410840/ratna-narayan
18. Toda, M. (2005), Initial Value Problems of the Sine-Gordon Equation and Geometric Solutions, Annals of Global Analysis and Geometry, vol. 27, no. 3, (2005), pp 257-271. http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0307270
(2014 ISI Global impact factor: 0.684)
19. Toda, M. (2005), Immersions of Constant Mean Curvature Surfaces in Hyperbolic Space, Differential Geometry – Dynamical Systems, vol. 7, no.1, (2005), pp 111-126. http://www.mathem.pub.ro/dgds/v07/D07-TOD.pdf
20. Inoguchi, J., Toda, M. (2004), Timelike Minimal Surfaces via Loop Groups, Acta Applicandae Mathematicae, vol. 83, no. 1-2, (2004) , pp 313-355. (see also http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0409073)
21. Dorfmeister, J., Inoguchi, J., Toda, M. (2002), Weierstrass-type Representation of Timelike Surfaces with Constant Mean Curvature in Minkowski 3-Space, Differential Geometry and Integrable Systems, Contemporary Mathematics AMS, vol. 308 (2002), pp 77-100. http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0307273 (Global impact factor 0.627)
22. Toda, M. (2002), Weierstrass-type Representation of Weakly Regular Pseudospherical Surfaces in Euclidean Space, BJGA, vol. 7 (2002), no. 2, pp 87-136. http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0307272 (ISI 2012 impact factor: 0.806)
23. Toda, M., Udriste C. (1999), C., Optimal Approximations on Riemannian Manifolds, BJGA, vol. 4 (1999), no.1, pp 135-144.
( ISI 2012 impact factor: 0.806)
24. Dorfmeister, J., Pedit, F., Toda, M. (1998), Minimal Surfaces via Loop Groups, BJGA, vol.2 (1997), no.1, pp 25-40, app. 1998. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235712845_Minimal_surfaces_via_loop_groups (ISI 2012 impact factor: 0.806)
25. Sandru, M., Toda, M. (1996), Topological Aspects in Elementary Geometry, TENSOR, N.S., Japan, vol. 57 (1996) , no.1, pp 80-83.
26. Toda, M. Udriste, C., (1994), Influence of the Evolution Riemannian Metrics on the Volume, Proceedings of 23rd European Conference on Geometry and Topology - Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, 1993 - app. (1994), pp 194-202.
27. Toda, M. Udriste, C., (1993), Volume Dependence on the Riemannian Metric, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Differential Geometry and Applications, 1993, Politehn. Univ. Bucharest Sci. Bull. Ser. A, Applied Math Series, vol. 55 (1993), no. 3-4, pp 285-298.
28. Toda, M. (1991), A Family of Riemannian and Naturally Reductive Homogeneous Spaces: A Classification, Polytech. Inst. Bucharest Scientific Bulletin, vol. 53 (1991), no. 3-4, pp 329-335.
Books, Textbooks (reviewed and refereed –open peer review)
29. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013), Kendall Hunt (Ed.), Calculus (6th ed., pp. 1160). Kendall Hunt Publishing, July 18, 2013. ISBN-10: 1465208887
30. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013), Kendall Hunt (Ed.), Calculus Special Edition (6th ed., Special Edition Ch 1-5 – used at Rutgers University). Kendall Hunt Publishing Company. ISBN-10: 146522923X
31. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013), Kendall Hunt (Ed.), Calculus Special Edition (6th ed., Special Edition Ch 5-8, 11, 12, 14 – used at Rutgers University). Kendall Hunt Publishing Company. ISBN-10: 146524079B
32. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013), Student Solutions Manual for Calculus 6th Edition, by Smith, Strauss and Toda. E-Book format. Kendall Hunt.
33. Smith, K., Strauss, M., Toda, M. (2013), Instructor’s Solutions Manual for Calculus 6th Edition, by Smith, Strauss and Toda. E-Book format. Kendall Hunt.
Number of technical reports and non-refereed preprints: 10.
Nonlinear couplings for Flows in Fractured Media, total amount $290,000, National Science Foundation, Division of Mathematical Sciences, CO-PI. (Principal Investigator A. Ibragimov)
Analysis of Non-Linear Flows in Heterogeneous Porous Media and Applications, total amount $226,000, National Science Foundation, Division of Mathematical Sciences, DMS 0908177, CO-PI. (Principal Investigator A. Ibragimov)
South Plains Mathematics Scholars, total amount $571,580, National Science Foundation, STEM: SCHLR SCI TECH ENG&MATH, CO-PI (PI: George Brock Williams)
Integrable systems, harmonic maps and Weierstrass representation, Central European Science Foundation; total award $58,000, P.I.
The Emmy Noether Mathematics Days, MAA, Tensor Projects, $4,500, P.I.
Multidisciplinary Summer Undergraduate Research Program in Computation and Control of Biological and Biologically Inspired Systems, total amount $170,707, National Science Foundation (REU Program) and Department of Defense (ASSURE Program). Senior Personnel. Project advised: Geometric Modelling of the Compound Eye, jointly with Dr Ram Iyer.
The Joy of Thinking, MAA-Tensor Foundation, $5,000 (graduate student stipend). P.I. (Co-P.I. J. Dwyer)
Project NexT (New
Experiences in Teaching) Travel Grant – supported by an AMS grant and the
Department of Mathematics and Statistics at
1998-2000 U.G. Mitchell Summer Research Grant for Graduate Students
II. Internal FUNDING by
2005 The Geometry of Backlund Transformations, Research Enhancement Fund, Summer 2005, $2,725.
2015 Toda, M – Plenary Speaker at the XVIIth International Conference on Geometry, Integrability and Quantisation, Institute of Biophysics, Bulgarian Academy of Science, June 4-10, 2015; http://www.bio21.bas.bg/conference/
2015 Toda, M – Special session invited speaker at the “Waves 2015” Conference on Integrable Systems and Waves, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, March 31 – April 4.
2014 Toda, M – Plenary Speaker at the XVIth International Conference on Geometry, Integrability and Quantisation, Institute of Biophysics, Bulgarian Academy of Science, June 5-12, 2014; http://www.bio21.bas.bg/conference/
2013 Toda, M. – Invited speaker, Constant mean curvature surfaces as models of beta sheets, ICNAAM Conference, Greece, Sep 20-28, 2013.
2013 Toda, M – Invited speaker, SIAM Conference on Mathematical and Computational Issues in Geosciences, University of Padova, June 17-20, 2013,” Geometric PDE models for secondary structure in proteins”.
2012 Ibraguimov, A., Aulisa, E., Hoang, L., Toda, M., Bloshanskaya, L., Invited speaker, SIAM Conference on Analysis of Partial Differential Equations, SIAM, San Diego, CA, November 14-17, 2011, "Stability of the Generalized Forchheimer Flow in Porous Media," (co-author; work presented by A. Ibragimov).
2010 Solving Bonnet Problems to Construct Families of Surfaces, Invited talk, International Conference of DGDS 2010, joint work with E. Aulisa and Z. Kose (presenter), Aug 2010.
2008 An up-scaling algorithm for non-Darcy flows in porous media, Invited talk, Special Session 19, Multiscale Numerical Methods for PDEs, 7th AIMS International Conference on Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications, joint work with E. Aulisa and A. Ibragimov (presenter), May 2008.
2007 Geometrical Frame-Work for Modeling Non-Linear Flows in Porous Media, and Its Applications in Engineering, Invited Talk, SIAM-NSF Conference on Mathematics for Industry in Philadelphia: Challenges and Frontiers (MI07), Sec. on Numerical Analysis, Numerical PDE and Clustering, joint work with E. Aulisa and A. Ibragimov, Oct 9-11, 2007
2006 CMC surfaces in hyperbolic space, Invited seminar talk, London Math Symposium, University of Durham, Conference on Geometric Methods on Integrable Systems, Aug 11-22, 2006.
2005 Harmonic maps into Lie groups, Invited talk, AMS Central Sectional Meeting #1006, Lubbock, Apr 8-10, 2005.
2004 Lorentz surfaces and the wave equation, Plenary Talk as Young Researcher, Texas Topology and Geometry Conference, NSF, TCU - UTA, Dallas Fort Worth, Feb 28, 2004.
2003 Immersions of arbitrary constant mean curvature in hyperbolic space, Invited talk, International Conference on Differential Geometry and Its Applications and Sixth German-Romanian Seminar, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, Sep 1-6, 2003.
2003 Constant mean curvature surfaces in hyperbolic space, Invited talk, Southeast Geometry Conference, Charleston, South Carolina, March 30, 2003.
2002 Constructing constants mean curvature surfaces in the hyperbolic space, Invited talk, Discrete, Computational and Combinatorial Geometry Conference – Satellite of the International Congress of Mathematicians - ICM, Beijing University, Beijing, August 13-19, 2002.
2001 Constant mean curvature surfaces in Minkowski 3-Space, Invited seminar talk, Northern Illinois University, April 20, 2001.
2001 Timelike surfaces of constant mean curvature and their corresponding PDEs, Invited talk, AMS Meeting, Lawrence, Kansas, March 30-31, 2001.
2000 Pseudospherical surfaces via moving frames, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Texas Tech University, February 11, 2000, Colloquium talk.
2000 Pseudospherical surfaces via moving frames, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Ball State University, February 4, 2000, colloquium talk.
2000 Hyperbolic surfaces, 30 min Invited talk, Special Session of Complex Hyperbolic Geometry, AMS Joint Meeting, Jan 18-22, 2000.
1997 Minimal surfaces with loop groups, Invited talk, Special Session of Differential Geometry, AMS Meeting, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Oct 24-25, 1997.
1994 Geometric optimization methods, Invited talk, 3rd International Conference on Differential Geometry of the TENSOR Society, Japan, Athens University, Greece, August 1994.
· Colloquium Talk – CMC Surfaces, Willmore surfaces and Integrable Systems and applications to protein biology, Texas Tech University, Sep 2013 – tenure and promotion candidate
· REU-NSF (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) Lectures:
- What every professional mathematician should know - June 2007
- Minimal surfaces - June 2007
· Emmy Noether High-School Day Workshops/Lectures:
- Emmy Noether High-School Day, May 4, 2005:
Hyperbolic Geometry: the whole world compressed in a disk
- Emmy Noether High-School Day, May 4, 2004:
2-D and 3-D tiling: our dream houses- workshop for students and their teachers
- Emmy Noether High-School Day, May 14, 2003:
Geometric Models in Physics – workshop for students and their teachers
· Interim Chair, Dept. Of Mathematics and Statistics, 2015- present
· Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics, 2010-15
Advisor and Representative of the
· Member of the Executive Committee, Mathematics and Statistics - Texas Tech Univ. (2010-present)
· Chair of the Undergraduate Committee, Mathematics and Statistics - Texas Tech Univ.(2010-present)
· Chair of the Organizing Committee for the Emmy Noether High-School Mathematics Day, Texas Tech University, organized Editions: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
· Member of the Strategic Planning Committee, 2012
· Member of the Travel Expenditures Committee, 2013
· Member of the Hiring Strategy Committee, 2007 and 2012
· Member of the Hiring Committee, 2007 -2008
as REU Program Coordinator, June 11-25, 2007, (with
B. University Service
· Member of the Faculty Senate at Texas Tech University (2006-2010) and Senate Committee C
· Member of Graduate Scholarship Committee (2012)
· Member of the Family Care Committee (2006-2010)
C. Professional service
- TGTC Texas Geometry and Topology Conference
- (4 editions, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2017)
- Red Raider Mini-symposium (2009, 2013)
- AMS Special Sessions (2012, 2014)
- SIAM Meeting Special Session (2013)
- 11th International Conference Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics (2013)
· Referee for 10 professional journals between 2008-2015, including but not limited to:
- Journal of Mathematical Analysis and its Applications (several times a year)
- Communications in Analysis and Geometry (CAG)
- Rocky Mountain J.
- Proceedings of the AMS
- Differential Geometry and Its Applications,
· Reviewer of scientific articles for Mathematical Reviews and Zentralblatt
· Reviewer of scientific textbooks for:
Springer-Verlag NY, W.H.Freeman and Company Publishers, Mathematical Reviews AMS
· Editorial appointments:
· Editor for NOVA Publishers – Scientific Journals – special issue, Applied Mathematics.
· Editor for a monograph with CRC – Taylor and Francis
Additional work with editors, between 2010-2013:
for Wiley and sons, Cengage, Pearson, Jones and Bartlett – reviewing textbooks and professional books