Math 3360 002: Foundations of Algebra I Fall 2016
Instructor: Dr. Dermot
Office: Math 217
Office Hours: TR 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm and by appointment.
- Syllabus: This document contains
all relevant course information including the course objectives,
information on assessment and grading, and final exam dates.
Homework #6 (due in class Thursday October 27):
- Homework #1 (due in class Thursday September 8):
- Section 0.1: Q1-4, Q8-10, Q12-13, Q15
- Homework #2 (due in class Thursday September 15):
- Section 1.1: Q1, Q2, Q4, Q8, Q9, Q10, Q11, Q17, Q18, Q22
- Homework #3 (due in class Thursday September 22):
- Section 1.4: Q10, Q11, Q12, Q13, Q17, Q21, Q31
- Homework #4 (due in class Thursday October 13):
- Section 1.3: Q1(a),(b),(c), Q2, Q3, Q4, Q7, Q8, Q16, Q17
- Homework #5 (due in class Thursday October 20):
- Section 2.1: Q1, Q2 (20 marks), Q8, Q14, Q15, Q16, Q20, Q21, Q22
Homework #7 (due in class Thursday November 10):
- Section 2.3: Q1, Q3, Q6, Q8, Q11, Q13, Q16, Q22, Q25, Q27
Homework #8 (due in class Thursday November 17):
- State and prove the first isomorphism theorem.
- Section 2.2: Q3, Q5, Q31
- Section 2.4: Q3, Q9, Q15
Homework #9 (due in class Tuesday November 29):
- State and prove Lagrange's theorem.
- Section 2.5: Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6, Q7, Q9
Homework #10 (due in class Tuesday December 6):
- Resubmission: State and prove the first isomorphism theorem.
- Section 3.1: Q2, Q7
- Section 3.2: Q1, Q7, Q11, Q17
- Resubmission: State and prove Lagrange's theorem.
- Resubmission: Any one previous homework assignement.
Important Dates and Times
TR 11:00 am - 12:20 pm in MATH 015
Written homework will be assigned and collected throughout
the semester. Details above.
Tentative In-Class Exam Schedule:
Exam 1: Tuesday, September 27
Exam 2: Tuesday, November 1
Final Exam Schedule:
Friday, December 9, 7:30 am - 10:00 am in MATH 015.
Final exam dates are set by the university - please confirm the date of our exam on the university website located here