||Unit one introduces you to the field of Statistics. We define
statistics and you are taken on a short overview of the field. Since statistics
deals with obtaining and analyzing data, we next talk about data, data
collection, data summarization and data visualization. Computing is a
big part of statistics and we begin to discuss computational needs and
the uses of computers and their applications in visualizing data. We finish
the unit with a short introduction to the concepts of probability and
statistical distributions. In particular we will discuss how we derive
probabilities of events by examining the statistical distributions associated
with the selection methodologies used to generate the data and the characteristics
of the underlying populations.
- To answer the questions "What is statistics?", "Why
should I study statistics?", and "What can I expect in this
- To introduce the concepts of population, sample, and study design.
- To discuss different ways of collecting data.
- To introduce the concept of scientific study design.
- To briefly introduce common experimental designs.
- To review aspects of data management.
- To review the concept of probability.
- To define what we mean by a probability distribution functions.
- To review common probability distributions functions.
- To learn how to compute probabilities of event using probability
||What is Statistics?
||Data, Data Summarization and
||Probability and Probability