Statistical Computing Software and Resources
R is free software available for download from the R homepage (click on "CRAN" on the left margin of the page). Download the Precompiled Binary Distribution for your operating system from a mirror near you. The online R documentation, via your default web browser, is obtained by typing "help.start()" on the window running R.
- Introductory Material:
- New York Times article from 2009 extolling the virtues of R.
- Brief R
- Venables's Intro to R manual (2008).
- Douglas Bates's Intro to R slides (2001).
- R Quick Reference Card.
- R Colors Reference Chart.
- Books & Manuals:
- Introductory Statistics with R, by Peter Dalgaard (Springer), 2002.
- R Graphics, by Paul Murrell (Chapman & Hall/CRC), 2005.
- The R Book, by Michael J. Crawley (Wiley), 2007.
- Julian Faraway's "Practical Regression and Anova using R" booklet. This is a draft version of what has become: Linear Models with R, by Julian Faraway (Chapman & Hall/CRC), 2004.
- Laura Thompson's R (and S+) manual for categorical data analysis.
- An R Overview of Some Major Topics in Statistics.
- R Basics and Linear Models & GLMs.
- Time Series Analysis:
- A detailed R overview of all of time series.
- R News article that describes the basic details of the main time series packages (2002).
- Package itsmr provides a subset of the functionality found in the Windows-based program ITSM from the textbook "Introduction to Time Series and Forecasting", 2002, by Peter J. Brockwell and Richard A. Davis.
- Diethelm Wurtz's slides describing the
Rmetrics packages for finance and econometrics (2008).
- JSS 2008 paper that describes package vars
for vector autoregressive (VAR), structural VAR, and vector error correction
- Basic time series plotting examples.
- Smoothing examples.
- Spatial Statistics:
- A detailed R overview of all of spatial statistics.
- A list of major packages for spatial stats (2010).
- R News article that describes package sp which provides classes and methods for spatial data; see pages 9-13 (2005).
- Website of geoR, a package for geostatistical data analysis.
- Code Snipets for Applied Statistics (STAT 5302-5303):
- The Minitab homepage.
- Recommended book: MINITAB Handbook, by Ryan, Joiner, and Cryer, Duxbury-Thompson-Brooks/Cole, 2005.
- The SPSS homepage.
- Recommended book: Doing Data Analysis with SPSS, by Carver & Nash, Duxbury-Thompson-Brooks/Cole, 2005.
- Mixed models in SPSS slides.
- Guide for importing excel files into SAS.
- Recommended introductory book: The Little SAS Book, A
Primer, Second Edition by Delwiche and Slaughter, SAS Institute Inc. 1998.
- Many free resources are available at the SAS homepage. In addition, SAS version 8 has a built in SAS Tutorial - Getting Started
with SAS (R) Software that can be accessed from the Help > Getting Started
with SAS Software items on the Menu Bar.
- Detailed procedure help manual with examples: SAS/STAT User's Guide.
- Comparison of R vs. SAS for mixed models.
- Repeated measures with Proc Mixed.
- Alan Agresti's categorical data analysis resources website.
- R for SAS and SPSS users (pdf manual).
top of page